Pages

Thursday, April 03, 2008

The opaque mirror

Today in the office, I take a break from work, close my eyes and sink into my myself. An image of a mirror with a beautiful wrought iron border surfaces. I look at it fascinated, admire the oval shape, the sheen of the glass, the fine working of the metal. And yet, in spite of all my looking I cannot see myself in the mirror. And then the realisation dawns that I am that mirror.

Over the years, a layer of experiences, thoughts, impressions, opinions have collected over the gleaming surface to such an extent that the mirror no longer reflects anything. All I am seeing all the time is the grime that has accumulated on top. Only if I peel away the layers one by one, throw away the scum of dead thought and clean it all up with the laser beam of mindful awareness will I be able to get to the gleaming mirror that is me. My true self. The pure light of consciousness. The unblemished manifestation of divinity. Pure love. It is all there, always there, waiting to be discovered, to be reclaimed, to be brought to light again.

That is the highest purpose of my life.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful. That, my dear, is meditation. To become one with the divine. Yes, you see the objective...the purpose..the end..but the means?? Buddha too insisted on the Noble Eightfold Path. You borrow the buddhist term..mindful awareness... awareness of what? Is it my true self or Her true Self? I am the divine, fine, but just a part of it. The divine extends much beyond me. And therefore I too. So my real being is not limited to my physical being. I extends to the world at large. I loses its significace the moment it merges with divine. Isnt that the love you speak about?..:)) You have expressed it all so very nicely.

    ReplyDelete