Pages

Friday, April 25, 2008

Afternoon song

It is a great blessing that today is a holiday and the weather is perfect. The sun rises over the hills and floods the valley with a pale autumn sunlight. Towards afternoon after a late breakfast, I decide to spend some time in our garden. The sun is soft and warm on my face or back and it is cool in the shade. I clear the garden of weeds, dead leaves and twigs to the accompanying music of birdsong. The tui calls in its distinct double-noted song. And the wind gently serenades the tree-tops like a sweet violin accompaniment. The grass, the leaves, the soil is soft in my hands and the atmosphere is calm. But thoughts roil and rumble in my mind as I grapple with emotions. But after a while I have a moment of clarity.

I realize that my greatest weakness has been that I have never been aware of my own strength. It is true that in the past that I’ve had glimpses of it and it has come to my aid in times of difficulty. But as a constant everyday conviction, I do not think of myself as strong. I tend to look outside for external validation. But in that moment of clarity I realize that I am stronger than all my troubles, difficulties and obstacles. I am powerful beyond measure. This somehow seems to settle my thoughts and calm my emotions. Yes, I have great strength which is not of the ego, but is inherent in me as a quality of my inner self, and I possess great courage too. And yes, I must not allow myself to forget this :)

1 comment:

  1. Yes, you are right. You are the God, the Self, the Spirit. Who can help you? You are all powerful, beyond ego, beyond desires, beyond love, beyond hate, beyond life and beyond death. Any thought or association that generates desires and enslaves you and takes you away from this reality must be quickly abandoned. All dependencies must be abandoned for you need none. Perfect independence is your nature. Free will is your characteristic. Dwell in this real nature of yours with head held high and confidence oozing out of every action that you perform. Don’t look back and remember the moments of weakness for who is there who doesn’t have them? That you have gone beyond them is an indication of your strength. That you have suffered is an indication of your endurance limits. That you are loved is an indication of your beautiful Self. Spread your arms and feel your glorious Self.:)

    ReplyDelete