Pages

Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Who am I?

The other day it occurred to me that whatever the circumstances of my life, poor / rich, healthy / sick, full social life / solitary, happy / sad, the only and greatest treasure in my life is myself. All these other circumstances are external, they pass away or change but I, I remain. Then I began to wonder what that 'I' is. Who am I? I realised that this self-conception changes from day to day or even from hour to hour. Then who is the real I?

Then a flash of insight told me that I am pure potential. What I see of myself is the manifested form. That which I choose to express of my potentiality. In unmanifested form I can be anything and everything, but what I have become is the result of my choices from moment to moment. At any given moment I chose to be sad, joyous, envious, forgiving, fearful and that is what I become. Some of our choices become habit. In the past, unknowingly some kind of situation must have triggered fear in our minds and slowly over time we become habituated to choosing fear in similar situations. What is also unknown to us is that we have a choice every time. Out of our pure potential we have the ability to chose courage, we have the strength to confront our fears.

I have also realised that if I remain aware of my potentiality it gives me power, because now I know that I have choices and I have the power to choose, instead of succumbing powerlessly and choicelessly. Now when I am beginning to feel fear, I can choose courage instead, instead of pain I can choose joy, instead of hate I can choose love. All of them exist in me as what I potentially am , but what I become is the result of my choices.

The light of insight does dispel darkness :)

~~~

1 comment:

  1. What a beauty? You said it. That is the truth. Yes. That is the crux. As existentialists say, we have infinite possibilities and we all have the freedom to make our choices and to realise our possibilities. It is this freedom that often causes feeling of anxiety in us. That is the difference between a man and stone. A stone has no possibilities. Freedom often brings anxiety. If I feel fear, its because I choose to feel fear, I might as well replace it with nonchalance. I am the cause, I am the effect. If I love, its because I choose to love, if I am hurt, its because I choose to feel hurt. Hey, but those are my thoughts too. You stole them:)) Or did I:)) Dear, my sweet Buddha, those were very profound thoughts. Treasure them. God bless you Allahdeen, you are very special. Keep posting your wonderful thoughts. Loves:))

    ReplyDelete