Pages

Sunday, March 02, 2008

Musings on a rain drenched walk

It is late evening and I am taking a walk when it starts to rain suddenly. First in a light smitter-smatter and then in a heavy drizzle. I have no raincoat or umbrella so I let myself get drenched. The raindrops caress my face in gentle strokes and slither down my nose and chin in large drops. And when I look up, in the bowl of the valley among the backdrop of the hills, there it is, a rainbow, a perfect arc, stretching from base of hill to base of another hill. Stark in the vividness of its colour and radiant in its beauty. As I walk, it fades slowly and disappears altogether. Then just as suddenly the rain stops, as if its only purpose had been to paint a rainbow in the sky.

Then it strikes me how effortlessly Nature does things. Without seeming to put in any effort it conjures up a rainbow from thin air. No stress, no striving, no deadlines, no bottomlines, just effortless ease. Just the intention and then the manifestation.

After the rain, the asphalt road has turned a shiny shade of black and the foliage, ah! they have turned a cleaner, crisper shade of green. Moisture hangs in the air like a secret and as I pass by trees, they give off a woody fragrance that mingles with the smell of the damp earth as shadows gather among the leaves and the sun bids a smiling farewell.

2 comments:

  1. very nice indeed. : )
    Read this: http://f1crazy.rediffiland.com/blogs/2007/05/25/Rain.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. How beautifully you paint with your words. Many were there when it all happened but not many felt the joy of it the way you did. For you felt the oneness with nature, it somehow resonated with your feelings inside. Its only when the external resonates with the internal that you feel the joy. That was love, my dear. The beauty within reaching out to be one with the beauty outside. Oh! isnt all of it a manifestation of divinity, external and internal?

    ReplyDelete