Pages

Tuesday, July 05, 2011

The flight between trapezes



Now that I am faced with yet another change, it has become very clear to me, that my life is not meant to be lived in the comfort zone. I notice that every time I settle down into comfort, circumstances change or events happen that pitchfork me from comfort into chaos. Then for a large period of time, I stumble and curse. I kick and scream and tread water, trying hard not to drown, just simply to remain afloat. Needless to say, over time all this abates and I settle down comfortably into aforesaid and previously markedly uncomfortable circumstances. Then, guess what happens next!

This chain of change and settling in and then change again, I began to find a bit bothersome, until recently I came across a reference to a trapeze jumper. And I thought about how, when a trapeze jumper lets go of the bars that his legs were hitched to and reaches for the hands or bars that will hitch him again, there are a few seconds when he is not supported by anything. This is the time when he is actually flying, in the air, on his own. The little gap when he is greatest at risk of falling and also the time when he is most alive. When he is supported by nothing but grace.

When I apply this analogy to my life, I find that it applies to me too.  For me, one of the stimuli that gives me the experience of feeling alive is change, of facing the unknown, of pitting myself against challenges not certain if I can meet them and yet certain that everything is going to be alright. Risk-taking releases adrenalin, that gives a high, and from time to time, I crave that high.

Change also brings out various hidden facets of my personality or adds new ones by forcing me to acquire skills that I previously didn’t have. Even though the change may sometimes not be to my liking, I like to think that I am evolving with change, growing roots, branches and wings, that it is taking me closer to fulfilling my limitless potential. 

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:32 am

    Inspiring. Well said, dear

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful analogy. I loved this inspirational piece.I will remember your message. It surely needs better visibility elsewhere

    PGR

    ReplyDelete