Pages

Friday, March 04, 2011

My tryst with Arabia


When one thinks of Arabia, a vision of camel caravans, hot dusty deserts, mirages and oases and dark-skinned Bedouin nomads come to mind. But here I am in Abu Dhabi and none of the above are in sight. Instead, I am surrounded by nothing but tall buildings and in the intervening spaces, lots of shiny metallic cars. It is as if seeds were planted in the desert and concrete and glass trees have sprouted up miraculously. And since petrol is in abundant supply, the cars just needed an excuse to be created.

And so I sit in my hotel room dreaming of the desert, of nights around the campfire, surrounded by camels, all under the canopy of a star-studded sky shining bright in the clear desert air. To compensate for the non-realisation of the dream, I go for walks. The pavements are clean and clear of clutter. Human traffic is sparse as compared to India, and traffic is orderly. The streets come alive in the evening, when the lights in the shop windows start to glow as if the departing day had left its lighted footprints in the bulbs. People stream into the numerous malls, shops, eating places or just go for walks. The pace is unhurried and relaxed. And whatever stress I might have accumulated during the day fall off me into the twilight.

The most fascinating thing is the people themselves. I make it a mental game to try to guess the nationality of each person that I pass for there are people of almost every race to be found here. Frizzy hair, straight hair, blond and black, to be found on brown, yellow, white or black bodies. The natives themselves are the most fascinating. A wonderful blend of cultures down the ages has resulted in beautiful, smooth, olive skin draped over slim bodies rounded off with beautiful olive-shaped eyes, sharp noses, full mouths and dark hair. Especially the women, of whom (if you are lucky) you can see only the face (if not, only the eyes).


I have a feeling that my tryst with Arabia has only begun. There are so many places to visit here of differing topographical features and different attractions. But yes, must get to the desert first, lie on the sands under the starry sky and space out :)