Pages

Sunday, July 29, 2012

A place I call home


Among the folds of the hills nestled
on the valley floor spread
a sparkling jewel, a gleaming gem
is a place I lovingly call home

‘Where is Middle Hutt’ I was once asked
‘this is Middle Earth’ I had said
should have said ‘A slice of heaven
about which stories are written’

Where my spirit sings to the drumbeat of rain
on the roof, and stands in awe to the sound
of the wind wailing against the walls.
and laughs as the Hutt river does

as it skips through meadow, hill
and vale singing a silver-tongued melody,
of mad longing to merge with the sea.
Where my spirit soars to the twinkling stars

And the moon rises laughing behind the hills.
Where my spirit rests in the hollow of the valley
Nestling among verdant hills lit up with the laughter
Of a hundred, babbling, sparkling brooks.

~~~

Today was National Poetry Day, so the local library had organised a poetry reading session, where poetry based on our city or location was read out. So I had my first public poetry reading with the above poem :)

 

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:00 pm

    Wow, Am sure you enjoyed yourself.
    If its ok, pl. share the feedback of the audience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The audience was most appreciative :) But that was not the point, the point for me was to stand up and say, here this is my poem ....' That was a block I had been wanting to overcome ...

    ReplyDelete