Pages

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Stop Calling Me a Pregnant Woman

My Master once entered a phase
That whenever I would see him
He would say,

"Hafiz,
How did you become a pregnant woman?"

And I would reply,

"Dear Attar,
You must be speaking the truth,
But all of what you say is a mystery to me."

Many months passed by in his blessed company.
But one day I lost my patience
Upon hearing that odd refrain
And blurted out,

"Stop calling me a pregnant woman!"

And Attar replied,
"Someday, my sweet Hafiz,
All the nonsense in your brain will dry up
Like a stagnant pool of water
Beneath the sun.

Though if you want to know the Truth
I can so clearly see that God has made love with you
And the whole universe is germinating
Inside your belly
And wonderful words,
Such enlightening words,
Will take birth from you

And be cradled against thousands
Of hearts."

- Hafiz

From 'The Gift - Poems by Hafiz' by Ladinsky

No comments:

Post a Comment